The student committee is still actively looking for people willing to serve as mentors for students who are interested in getting more involved in group work. This is not limited to people who are interested in group therapy or research, we are looking for a good blend of people holding different positions. Expectations are as follows:
- Provide your mentee an email address or phone number where you can be contacted to answer questions related to professional development (e.g., coursework, future employment, practicum, training experiences, etc.), as needed.
- Be accessible to have a face-to-face meeting (e.g., lunch, dinner, coffee) with the mentee one to two times per year, such as at APA or convention and/or be available to meet through another means, such as by phone, email or Skype.
- Assist mentee in networking and meeting with other professionals and/or students in Div. 49 or APA at large. This networking could occur at the Div. 49 social and/or other events.
- Commit to a one-year mentorship relationship.
- Refrain from entering into a supervisory relationship with your mentee.
- Respond to mentee challenges and follow grievance procedures, as appropriate.
- Maintain Div. 49 member status.
You can apply online by going to http://www.apadivisions.org/division-49/membership/mentor-program.aspx and submitting an application (just asking for basic information to help us better connect mentors to mentees). Though we plan to keep mentorship open throughout the year, we would like to ask people who are particularly interested (this goes for both mentors/mentees) to submit an application before the end of each month.
Please feel free to pass this email along to colleagues, too. I hope many of you will be able to serve!