We are happy to announce that our third short-term mentoring group, exclusively for Society of Group Psychology and Group Psychotherapy members, will be starting February 1st. Our next mentor is Dr. Lee Gillis!
About Dr. Gillis
H.L. (Lee) Gillis, PhD is the Chair of the Department of Psychological Science at Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville GA where he has resided since 1986. His doctoral studies were completed at The University of Georgia in Counseling Psychology and his dissertation investigated the impact of a challenge (ropes) course experience on couples. He currently teaches classes in Interpersonal Behavior and Senior Seminars in Adventure Therapy and in Teamwork to undergraduates. He is co-author of Adventure Therapy: Theory Research and Practice with his colleagues, Michael Gass and Keith Russell. He has presented and published on issues in adventure therapy and the use of metaphor in therapy since 1978. He is a Fellow in and former President (2014) of the American Psychological Association: Division 49: Society of Group Psychology and Group Psychotherapy. He is also the past chair (2015-2016) of the Association of Heads of Department of Psychology. He is proudly married to a Canadian, Jude Hirsch and they live on Lake Sinclair in Georgia with their 2 dogs, 1 cat, and daughter when she is home from NYC in her pursuit of a career in opera.
Details of the Group
1. The group will meet for 6 sessions for one hour each: Wednesday, February 1st at 11 am (EDT), Wednesday February 8th at 11 am (EDT), Wednesday, February 15th at 11am (EDT), March 1st at 11am (EDT), Wednesday, March 8th at 11 am (EDT), and Wednesday March 15th at 11 am (EDT).
2. You must be able to attend at least 5 of the 6 mentoring sessions.
3. We will be using video conferencing technology. You need broadband wired or wireless internet, webcam, and speakers/microphone (if not built into the webcam). Technological support will be offered during the sessions.
4. A group of mentees will be selected from the first responses back to us (email us at firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. Only Division 49 members are eligible. If you would like to become a member, please visit: http://memforms.apa.org/apa/cli/divapp/?_ga=1.175616994.1752679076.1461178842
6. Topics for discussion will grow out of the interests of the mentees and a needs assessment conducted by Dr. Lee
If you have any questions or would like to sign up for the mentoring group, please contact Membership Chair, Dr. Norah Chapman (email@example.com).