The Group Psychologist is the newsletter of the Society of Group Psychology and Group Psychotherapy, Division 49 of the American Psychological Association. The Society provides a forum for psychologists interested in research, teaching, and practice in group psychology and group psychotherapy. Current projects include developing national guidelines for doctoral and post-doctoral training in group psychotherapy. The Division’s quarterly journal, Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice, is sent to all members and affiliates. For more information about Division 49, visit our website. Division 49 is an exciting division with many activities and services to benefit you. These include:
Superb Networking and Professional Development Opportunities
- Our Society is accessible. Meet colleagues and leaders in the field who share your interest in group, whether organizational, social, or clinical/counseling psychology.
- Find a home for your group psychology or group psychotherapy presentations through submission of your APA convention material to the Division 49 Program Committee.
- Participate in our quarterly conference calls to connect with colleagues and stay energized about groups.
- Become involved in our Society’s governance, you can join one of our committees or on the Executive Board
Distinguished Awards and Positions
- Be eligible to receive or nominate peers for awards, including the Arthur Teicher Group Psychologist of the Year Award, the Diversity Award, Student Poster Awards and Richard Moreland Dissertation of the Year.
- Become a Fellow in the Society
Outstanding Journal Access and Communication Tools:
- Receive Group Dynamics: Theory, Research and Practice- the well regarded journal of our Society
- Read The Group Psychologist, the division newsletter includes clinical tips, case studies, and updates from leaders in the field of group work.
- Get news on the Division listserv to keep up-to-date with announcements relevant to group psychology and group psychotherapy
- Like our Facebook page to get weekly Wisdom on Wednesday posts, and other group related updates.