June 2016 Diversity Committee Report
Chair: Jeanne Steffen, Ph.D.
Person Submitting Report: Jeanne Steffen
Members of Committee:
|Eric Chen||Lee Gillis|
|Maria Riva||Jennilee Fuertes|
|Cheri Marmarosh||Keri Frantell|
|Joe Miles||Carol Cho|
Brief Summary of Activities Undertaken:
Our activities since the Spring 2016 report have included:
- We divided into small groups to address goals 2-4 of our 2016 goals, which are: 1) recruit new members to our division, with a focus on student and early career psychologists; 2) create a student diversity award; 3) provide opportunities for multicultural competency development through suite programming at APA in Denver; 4) seek nominations and select a Diversity Award recipient for 2016.
- We all discussed creating a student diversity award and Joe and Keri volunteered to work on a request to create a student diversity award. We decided we would put this into action for 2017.
- Eric and Carol completed a proposal for Division 49 suite programming to draw in new student members to our division and address goals related to education/building multicultural competency in our members/APA.
- Maria was instrumental in gathering materials and putting forth nominations of recommended candidates from the committee. The committee members voted and we selected a candidate and forwarded our recommendation to Craig. Our recommendation this year was Dr. Kathryn Norsworthy.
Items Needing to be Discussed:
Agenda for August meeting; selection of new chair.
Items Needing Action:
- Follow up on Suite Programming.
- Follow up to confirm Dr. Norsworthy was accepted for the 2016 Diversity Award and notified.
- Collaborate with committee for August agenda
All additional action items will be discussed by the end of June.
Recommendations, if any:
Categories: Committee Reports